- Lean hip muscle sliced with the grain (recipe is per 1Kg of meat)
- 18 g Salt
- 3.5 g Cure (5%)
- 1.5 g Sodium Erythorbate or Sodium Ascorbate
- 3 g California Ham Spice
- 11 g White Sugar
- 3 g Butcher’s Coarse Black Pepper
- 1 g Garlic
- 1 g Cayenne
- 90 g Water
- 20 g Lemon Juice (add last)
- 1/4 tsp. of liquid smoke
- Add dry ingredients and water in a tub; mix thoroughly.
- Add sliced meat to mixture and mix until all pieces are covered evenly- ensure meat slices are separated from each other and get full coverage.
- Add lemon juice to mixture (important to add last); mix everything thoroughly.
- Cover with butcher paper and refrigerate overnight.
- Next Day: Mix thoroughly. Lay on jerky racks and smoke/cook to a minimum 71°C (may dehydrate further to preference).