The red, orange and yellow peppers infuse their sweet flavor into the elk. And when you blend together caramelized onion, garlic and mushrooms and then top everything off with a layer of melted mozzarella and grill everything on the bbq – that just adds an extra dimension of WOW. If you don’t want to bbq simply bake in the oven at 400 degrees for the same amount of time.
Makes 4 – 6 Stuffed Bell Peppers
- 4 – 6 large bell peppers (red, orange or yellow)
- ¾ pound Elk Roast – sliced thin (substitute ground elk, venison or antelope burger)
- 1 cup sweet yellow onion, chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 14 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon High Caliber Granulated Garlic
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire
- 4 slices raw mozzarella
- Shaved or grated Parmesan
- 1 cup quinoa, cooked (substitute cooked rice)
- Olive Oil
- 2 small aluminum tins
1. Bring large pot of water to boil on high heat. While water is boiling, cut the top off peppers and remove seeds. Add salt to boiling water and submerge peppers in water until their flesh is soft, about 6 – 7 minutes. Remove from water and set aside.
2. Heat 2 tablespoons of butter in a large cast iron skillet. Saute onions, mushrooms and garlic until soft and translucent. About 5 minutes. Add sliced elk roast or ground burger to onions and mushrooms. Stir together and continue to cook until browned. Add diced tomatoes, Worcestershire, oregano, garlic powder, salt, fresh thyme and continue to cook for a few more minutes. Remove mixture from heat.
3. Pre-heat the bbq to medium-high temperature
4. Add a ¼ cup of quinoa or rice to the bottom of each pepper and then stuff pepper with elk mixture and top with a slice of fresh mozzarella and shaved or grated parmesan cheese. Place the stuffed bell peppers in aluminum tins and drizzle a little olive oil over the tops. Place aluminum tins on the bbq and close the lid baking for 15-20 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Serve with a green garden salad and enjoy!